Based on the title of this post, I should not write instructions on medications.
So today I gave my parents "the talk."
I decided that my parents are mature enough now to hear it, and so I just came out and said it, "I do what I want."
God that was disappointing for you. I know.
That really was the topic of the talk. It was a monumental moment among many momentous....mexicans.
I could not think of a word to complete that alliteration. Another disappointment. So symbolic of my life in my parent's eyes.
No. That's not true, but it is what it feels like sometimes. They worry because I'm a short-haired hippie taoist libertarian animal rights activist theatre major during a recession. I try and tell them that my hippie ways are very beneficial during a recession. It saves on soap and fur products. But they want to know what I'm going to do when I graduate. My answer is always, "Well...graduate." And then they say "then what?" and I say "Protest and blog" and then they cry.
See... I don't know what I'm doing because I do not yet know what I want. So I'm not just going to DO something to do something. I know I want to spend time with my lover and I want to write plays and sitcoms and movies and I want to be independent and travel so I do kinda know what I want, but I don't have a business plan. I don't have a five year plan, which is very against what Amurica preaches, but since when do I listen to preachers?
I really am buying into this Taoist stuff. The go with the flow, don't plan, just live, mentality. Those commas were inappropriately used. No one seems to agree with it, though. Which you know I love so maybe that's why I'm doing it. Even the artsy theatre types don't find Taoism satisfying because acting does require a significant amount of drive and ambition and Taoism doesn't really support that so much.
Anyway, I told my parents that I did not want them to ask me any more questions about my future or my plans or what I'm going to do when Matt gets home. I told them that I HAVE to cut them out of that part of my life because it's time for me to really live up to the title of this blog. It was a long and repetitive talk, much like this post, but in the end my parents and I realized that I'm ready to be an adult.
I mean... I'm completely naive to the real world, I honestly don't know what taxes are, and my idea of being responsible is separating the clean clothes from the dirty clothes on my floor, but shooooo I'm ready.
We have to do what we want to really fully live. Be selfish in that sense. Don't do anything for your parent's sake. Or your significant other's sake IF it compromises your own life goals. I'm not saying cheat on your spouse or push your child in front of a tractor. I'm just saying, usually the right thing to do feels the best and is usually what you want and what others around you will benefit from.
That was very muddled and unimpressive.
I do feel more grown up now that I have, in a sense, told my parents what to do. It's very gratifying. I've been preparing them for this day by ignoring them most of my life so that the transition from them telling me what to do to me telling them what to do would be a little easier.
I'm a good daughter.
Speaking of growing up, I threw the most ridiculous frat-like party this weekend and got hammered drunk and may have pulled a Katy Perry.
Adulthood.
OH YES! AND I bought all new cruelty free awesome hippie products that smell like really yummy grass and flowers. Look over to the right under "Cruelty Free and Used By Me" to see the brand and junk. I smell like a fucking garden right now. I just want to sit in the sun and do some photosynthesis.
I would be an AWESOME plant. I already do many of the same things. I just do. I be a lot. You know? I just let, yeah?
Plants also can't communicate very well.
-Tree
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
you pretty much majored in being a plant... i just realized that.
when you find cruelty-free tampons give me a call...
Post a Comment