I think people try too hard to make a big deal out of the beginning and end of the year. The middle is what counts. We always enjoy the beginnings of things and look forward to their endings, but find ourselves bored or discontent within the middle. That is why my New Year's resolution is to celebrate the ordinary days. I'm gonna party on a Monday in the middle of March because of the alliteration.
These parties won't be occasions to get blasted and get in filthy hot tubs with perfect strangers (as much as I love the latter.) These parties will be with good music, dancing, and making a vegan cake. Other people may or not be involved. I can have a solo dolo party, fo sho.
For example, I spent my New Years with only the three dogs and the cat. My broseph was out partying; my parents had their own drunk adventure; and I sat at home. It was amazing. I slept, I snacked, and just was at peace. I stayed up and watched the ball drop with Ingrid (my cat) and then ran downstairs and yelled "HAPPY FUCKIN NEW YEAR" to my beagle and two little shits (shitzus.) Chance, the beagle, began howling aggressively and then Bella, the little yappy ugly shitzu, screeched like a wild boar with an attitude problem, and Tessa, the older worn own pretty dog, rolled her eyes and went back to sleep. I think she pissed herself in her bed, too. It wasn't like a sad "I'm so old that I cannot control my bladder" kind of pissed herself. It was like a "It's 2010 and I want to urinate on myself so you have to clean it up and learn your place beneath me in this world." I then proceeded to dance while music played on TV and the awake dogs chased me around and tried to somehow get food out of the situation. They succeeded. I'm a pushover for the animal world. We've learned this by now.
Point: I don't need to depend on others to make me happy. I don't need a huge crazy fiesta with mad amounts of alcohol and hot strippers to have fun. In the middle of the year, in the middle of the month, in the middle of the week, in the middle of your day, you can find joy wherever you are. In the middle, life is not extreme, but it has the opportunity to be balanced. Because, we cannot physically survive living in the party zone every day. Most of our lives are spent in a simpler way. Most of our lives are spent waiting in line for some toy made in China.
That's not where I was going with that. I apologize.
Enjoy the middle of things. Fuck mid-life crisis.
Live in the moment and you will never be disappointed. Unless you die... then you have failed at living in the moment.
Only losers die.
Wait......
Everyone dies.
Sounds like another blog post.

2 comments:
I would suggest that ultimately we are all also losers.
I look around and I tend to agree.
Post a Comment